'Trading Places #22'
Announcing the free-to-enter Quay Words 2022 Young Writers’ Flash Fiction Competition in partnership with Exeter College and supported by the Bridport Prize.
If you’re aged between 10 and 18-years, send us your Flash Fiction, 250 or 500-word story on the theme of ‘Trading Places’. There are two age categories – 10-14 years and 14-18 years – with cash prizes in each category of £200, £100 and £50, plus the chance to be published and to perform your work at Exeter Custom House.
We are looking for your inventive story, with a maximum word count of 500 words in the 10-14 year age-category and 250 words in the 14-18 year age-category.
We chose the theme ‘Trading Places’ because it opens up all sorts of possibilities. It invites us to think about other people’s lives and to put ourselves in their shoes. It echoes the trading past of Exeter Custom House on the Quayside where Quay Words is based. It links to the idea of a place, which might be a landmark historic building like Exeter Custom House, or might be the front room of your own home. We hope it frees your imagination to roam far and wide, exploring possibilities in much the same way as trading ships once sailed the globe from Exeter Custom House, linking Exeter to the whole wide world.
Last year’s winners were presented their prizes by best selling children’s author, Michael Morpurgo and they all had their work published in the Quay Voices #1 anthology. You can read their writing here.
Guidelines for writing your entry
1. The maximum word count is 500 words in the 10-14 year age-category and 250 words in the 14-18 year age-category. There is no minimum
2. Entries should be typed on a computer
3. You may use any font, size 12, black
4. Entries should be double spaced
Guidelines for submitting your entry
1. Include a front page which includes the title and the word count
2. Save the short story as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) preferably, or as an Adobe PDF, with your first and last name in the file name.
3. For school groups or classes, please send the entries in a block, either as a .zip file using the entry form or by email to email@example.com – each individual entry should include the entrant’s name and the name of the school (for administrative purposes). Please indicate clearly which category the entries are for.
Closing date: Sunday 6th March 2022, midnight.
Submitting your entry
Entries can be posted to:
Quay Words Young Writers’ Competition
c/o Exeter Custom House
46, The Quay
Or submitted via the entry form below.
If you are entering on behalf of a school class or group, entries may be submitted in a .zip folder using this form, posted to the address mentioned or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject ‘Quay Words Young Writers’ Competition’ and don’t forget to tell us the name of your school, the class name/ year group and the age category you are entering for.